Mill Hill’s proximity to the city of London made it popular as a country retreat from the 17th century onwards, and large houses and quaint cottages were constructed, many of which still remain.”
The earliest record of Mill Hill (or ‘Myllehill’) is dated 1547. The name appears to mean the ‘hill with a windmill’. In a building adjacent to the ‘Mill Field’ at the northern extent of The Ridgeway, the workings of the original Mill can be found. Mill Hill village is the oldest known inhabited part of the district, a ribbon development along the medieval route called ‘The Ridgeway’. Mill Hill’s proximity to the city of London made it popular as a country retreat from the 17th century onwards, and large houses and quaint cottages were constructed, many of which still remain.
Watch Tower House was constructed on the site of Bittacy House, a plain stuccoed villa which was described by Whishaw as ‘modern’ in his Map of Hendon and accompanying reference book of 1828. A foundation stone adjacent to one of the principal entrances noted the construction date of 1827. By the mid 1940’s, Bittacy House was already in a state of deterioration and by the early 1950’s the house had been demolished. Following the purchase of the site in the mid 1950’s by IBSA, Watch Tower House was constructed, with occupation commencing from 1959.
Relevant Planning History
In Planning terms the site has a Use Class of sui generis. Notable applications approved in recent years include:
- June 2000 (W03005AN/00) – Extension to existing Conservatory
- June 1998 (W03005AL) – Conservatory extension at the rear – amendment to planning permission W03005Q approved 19.09.94
- September 1997 (W03005AJ) – Excavation to provide a hard surfaced tennis court and surrounding fencing
- February 1997 (W03005AE) – Demolition of existing factory block and redevelopment with replacement building for institutional use, being a revised scheme to that approved on 19 September 1994 W03005Q, and 25th February 1993 W03005K
- September 1994 (W03005Q) – Demolition of existing buildings and redevelopment with a three & four storey building for institutional use. Revised proposal to that approved on 2 April 1993
- February 1993 (W03005K) – Demolition of existing factory building and re-development extension of remaining building for residential institutional use
- October 1986 (W03005G) – Extension of Car Park and new planting
- May 1980 (W03005F) – Part single, part three and four storey extensions
- August 1979 (W03005E) – erection of part single, part three and four storey extensions.
Watch Tower House lies just within Green Belt, and also just within the designated Mill Hill Conservation Area. London Borough of Barnet Conservation Area Maps can be found here. Information relative to the Green Belt in Barnet and other spatial designations that may be relevant to Watch Tower House can be found by searching for ‘Watch Tower House’ on the map available from here. Watch Tower House has a number of large mature trees which are protected by Tree Preservation Orders. A Planning Statement relative to this property will be available via the Property Data Bank following registration.
Watch Tower House is located half a mile from Mill Hill East underground station with a walking time of some 12 minutes. For rainy days, the number 240 bus passes outside the entrance to Watch Tower House and takes just two minutes to reach Mill Hill East station travelling south, with Mill Hill Broadway and a connection to Thameslink around 20 minutes away in a northerly direction.
Easy access to principal routes
From Mill Hill East Underground:
Euston: 21 mins
King’s Cross & St Pancras: 24 mins
Charing Cross: 28 mins
Waterloo: 31 mins
Victoria: 32 mins
Liverpool Street: 37 mins
Typical travel time to London airports
London City: 39mins
*Using TFL Journey Planner & Google Maps
This site is not accessible to members of the public and occasional access cannot be gained. Therefore all viewings will be strictly by appointment with IBSA and will be accompanied.
At this juncture, expressions of interest are invited.
Freehold with vacant possession at point of sale, or other options by agreement.